Sunday, October 17, 2010

continent boxes-just starting to gather ideas from all over

I found these white boxes on clearance sale at Walmart for $5.00 in the office supply section. I plan to leave them white but color code the labels when I can type them neatly.(Out of printer ink again and toner for the laser printer too)

Europe - red
South America - pink
Asia - Yellow
Antarctica - white
Australia (Australasia) - brown
North America - orange
Africa - green

Countries we'd studied so far: China (The Story About Ping,Mulan), America(Little House in the Big Woods),Spain,Guatemala,France(Madeline)

*Continent Cards from jojoebi 

*Animals
animals by continent cards I found here from sporschool
 animal list from montessori candy's blog that I have added more animals on to.I think we have alot of these already. I found our Desert Toob from Safari Ltd that I got on sale at Michael's. In it is an Explorer, Horned Lizard, Saguaro Cactus, Road Runner, Scorpion, Rattle Snake, Coyote, Big Horn Ram, Bobcat, Armadillo, Mountain Lion and Prairie Dog. Some of them have gone missing and I think the teenager's who played with them last are in trouble. The teens like the homeschool activities as much as the little-ones do.They seem to want to test all the activities out for the littles.
Animals of Africa:
Aardvark
African Adult Elephant
Camel
African Wild Dog
Giraffe
White Rhino
Cheetah
Warthog
Lowland Gorilla Male

Animals of Asia:
Brown Bear
Panda
Leopard
Praying Mantis
Hare
Orangutan
Siberian Tiger
Elephant
Red Panda
Arabian Camel

Arabian Wildcat and Turkish Van Kedi
Arabian Horse
Bengal Tiger/White Tiger
Asian Elephant
Leopard/Snow Leopard
Indian Rhinoceros
Caracal
Peacock
Cobra

Animals of Antarctica:
Chin Strap Penguin
Emperor Penguin
Giant Squid
Humboldt Penguin
Humpback Whale
Rockhopper Penguin
Sperm Whale
Walrus
Polar Bear
Octopus
Harp Seal
Dolphin
Sailfish

Animals of Australia:
Platypus
Cockatoo
Kangaroo
Koala
Blue Whale
Octopus
Crocodile
Humpback Whale
White Shark
Sperm Whale

Animals of Europe:
Owl
Hedgehog
Brown Bear
Wild Boar
German Shepherd
Border Collie
Dalmatian
Frog
Harp Seal
Ladybug
Hermit Crab

Animals of North America:
Squirrel
Beaver
Anteater
Deer
Bald Eagle
Wolf
Bison
Moose

Animals of South America:
Llama
Donkey
Armadillo
Alpaca
Iguana
Flamingo
Great Horned Owl
Honey Bee
Toucan
Macaw
Hermit Crab


*food lists
AFRICA
here is a list of commom african foods and spices I found that I thought would be good to include.
Common Ingredients for Traditional African Food
(where available)
Vegetables
Yams, Okra, Watermelon, Cassava, Groundnuts, Black-eyed Peas, Cabbage, Maize - corn,Sweet Potatoes Meats
Chicken,Pork,Beef and Fish of local varieties
Spices
Garlic
Melegueta pepper - West African (substitute use cardamon), cloves, black peppercorns, cardamom,nutmeg, turmeric, pilau mix , curry powder, Lemons,Rice

ASIA
middle eastern spices
cumin,nutmeg,cardamom,tumeric, sumac, caraway,aniseed,allspice,cinnamon
Indian Spices
Asofoetida,daal,coriander,curry,cumin,star anise,saffron,tamarind,tumeric

Other things to include:
* textiles such as a piece of silk for China, wool tartan plaid for Scotland, cotton and buckskin for North America, alpaca wool  for South America
* paperdolls showing tradional dress
*maps
*money
*flags
*stamps and postcards(I have been asking friends and co-workers going on vacation to send the kids postcards from flat stanley. Its my very own version of the flat stanley project! They love seeing where he is now.. but... "How does he know us?"... Pitty-pat asks every time a card comes to our house. I love it because it is the first time she showed stranger recognition and means she is growing out of her RAD (reactive attachment disorder) I love my two little RADishes. So far we have received postcards from South Dakota, Paris, St. Lucia, Arizona, Wyoming, Wisconsin and Minnesota--looking forward to many more soon who knows maybe someday I can afford a vacation and mail a card myself.

antartica
I found this great lifecyle of the penguin from Honey to print. It is a link I found at another website while searching for montessori continent box ideas.
North America
I got a wildflowers poster at the Michigan visitors center this summer. In fact I have and extra copy for the first person to comment on this blog page.

No comments:

Post a Comment