Spicy Pickled Carrots
(I found this recipe here ) I can't wait to try it so I copied it so I can't loose it. Plus it is a small batch recipe, so if we don't like it we aren't stuck with so many jars of the stuff.
This recipe makes four pints of pickled carrots, and scales up easily
- 2 1/2 lbs carrots, cleaned, trimmed, and sliced 1/4" thick
- 5 1/2 cups vinegar (white or cider)
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tbsp canning salt
- 2 Jalapeno or Serrano peppers
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 4 bay leaves
- 20 peppercorns
- 4 tsp salt
2. Simmer the carrots: Meanwhile, put the carrots, vinegar, water, sugar and 2 tbsp canning salt in a large saucepan or dutch oven,
3. Fill the jars: In each pint jar, put 1/2 a jalapeno pepper, 1 bay leaf, 5 peppercorns, and 1 tsp salt. Using a slotted spoon, fill each jar with carrots, leaving 1/2" of head space at the top of each jar. Ladle enough brine into each jar to cover the carrots, again leaving 1/2" of head space. If you are doing refrigerator pickles, you're done - cover the jars and skip to the "rest for at least a week" step. If you're canning the pickles, read on...and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, and simmer the carrots for 15 minutes.
4. Process the jars: Wipe the rims of the jars and apply the lids. Lower the jars into the canning pot, and make sure they are covered with 1" of water. Cover the pot with its lid, bring the water to a rolling boil, then process in the hot water bath for 15 minutes. Remove the jars from the pot, and let rest for 12 to 24 hours before testing the seal on the lids.