Saturday, April 30, 2011

Modeling Bee's Wax recipe

I found this recipe here for modeling beeswax. Since we found some bee's wax at the local festival for $1.00 a small bar I bought 5-- to try some modeling wax with the kids. My Grandpa Curtiss raised bees and I love the smell of bee's wax. It reminds me of him. It's like a hug from the past.

Modeling Beeswax
Approx 1 cup of beeswax
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp lanolin [do not use if you are allergic to lanolin]
Melt the beeswax in a double boiler, [add grated crayon for colour]
Mix the lanolin and the olive oil together and add to the beeswax.
Once all is melted – remove from heat and keep stirring and pour into a walled [and lined] cookie tray. Cut into pieces and leave to cool
To check consistency, warm a piece in your hand and check its pliability. If it is to hard, add lanolin or oil. If to soft add beeswax.

*note while looking for this recipe I found out what was in the modeling clay from the store-UGGGHH!!! I will never buy that again. Definitely worth making our own naturally.

2 comments:

  1. Oh I loved FIAR when my daughter was in early elementary grades! Love love love your homeschooling blog - you're a joy and a source of information! Thanks for sharing. I'm your newest follower from the Sunday Blog Hop and would love a follow back - thanks!

    Mary @ Redo 101

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,
    Following you from the hop :) Please stop by Areyouamom.com and say hi
    Thanks,
    Maureen

    ReplyDelete