Monday, March 28, 2011

Quote for today

"Tell me, I’ll forget
Show me, I’ll remember
Involve me, I’ll understand"
~Chinese Proverb 
 
 Our learning style is mostly  a smorgasbord of Montessori with some Charlotte Mason thrown in with Waldorf for seasoning. I find the kids are hands on learners. Partly this is due to their age. I agree with Dr. Raymond and Dorthy Moore that kids shouldn't be put in classrooms at an early age. Learning should be fun and apply to real life. Yes, I have done my research. Homeschooling is as personal a decision as what Church to attend. There are different styles of learners-auditory,tactile,and many others. By homeschooling we get to pick and choose for the best of all three. There is no teaching to the test in my home because there is no pressure that mom will be fired or loose funding if they don't show a certain improvement on the  MEAP test.
Yes, I do plan to have the kids take a standardized test at some point. BUT it will be just to see what areas we need to do more work . Isn't that why the tests were invented in the first place? I want my kids to be able to critically think, logically think, and think for themselves, THINK. Standardized test take thinking out of the schools. Some of the dumbest people I know scored A's on tests but couldn't apply their knowledge outside the classroom. I am sure our learning styles will change as the kids get older.  Isn't that the way it should be?

No comments:

Post a Comment