Saturday, March 12, 2011

Explaining the destruction to the kids

Sorry no postings lately we have all been taking turns passing around this viral illness for the last 2 weeks--fever, sore throats, cough, headache, and chills. very little school has been accomplished.
Yesterday, Aaron and I watched the news about Japan. With my daughter and son-n-law in Hawaii we were glued to the TV for most of the day (I slept for 4 hours after my cold medicines kicked in). Finally we shared with Pitty-pat and Tippy-toe some of the destruction on TV. I saw real empathy in their little faces. We got out the map and did some geography-Japan,Hawaii,Alaska, California.
We talked about the force of water. I used the illustration of shoving water across the bath tub to make a big splash up on the wall. Their little heads nodded, now they could understand.
We have been discussing the three states of matter-gas, liquid , and solid. We viewed the pictures of the nuclear reactor and talked about the poisonous gases being released.
I remember the hard history lessons I saw first person and I want them to remember these events so they can tell their children. We are sad. We hurt in our hearts for the people of Japan. We said a prayer for the people of Japan.

No comments:

Post a Comment