Monday, October 10, 2011

Pumpkin puree for pies


Fresh pumpkin for pies is something I have been making for years. I find the small dark skinned pie pumpkins to be the best ones around here. So while at the farmer's market on Saturday we picked up 4 pumpkins for $2.00 to make into "pumpkin mash" to freeze in 2 cup portions. The USDA doesn't recommend canning pumpkin so we will be freezing ours. The kids love to wash the pumpkins. I like to roast mine in the oven but we are having unusually warm weather 80's in October is rare--enough to make me think global warming (Ok, not really!). So back to the ever popular crock pot. I use mine everyday or almost. We are saving the seeds to roast as snacks.I will freeze the pumpkin in 2 cup servings since we almost always have to double every recipe for our large family.

No comments:

Post a Comment