Saturday, December 3, 2011

If at first you don't succeed try try again...

 I have only succeeded in making rocks every time I try to make bread but I still continue to try so when I found this dough recipe I thought I would try again.
I found this dough recipe here:
  • 8 Cups of Flour (I prefer to use a combination of White Wheat and All Purpose Flour)
  • 3 Tablespoons of Instant/Fast Acting Yeast
  • 3 Tablespoons of Brown Sugar
  • 2 teaspoons of Sea Salt
  • 3 Cups of Hot from the tap Water
Note: This recipe makes a large batch of dough (enough to make 2 large loaves).
I use a stand mixer with a dough hook.  I add 6 cups of the flour and the remaining dry ingredients.  I mix them for just a few seconds, then I add the water slowly as it is kneading.
Once you’ve added all your water and it has mixed in, you will need to add your remaining 2 cups of flour.  Depending on the humidity or alignment of the Earth, you may or may not need all of the flour.  Add flour slowly until the dough is “cleaning” the sides of your bowl.  You can knead this for as long as you prefer.  I just mix it thoroughly until it makes a dough ball on my hook and call it good.
Next, place your dough ball in a large bowl.  I spray mine with oil and make sure it coats the entire dough ball.  Cover with a warm damp hand towel to aid in rising.  Sometimes, I turn my oven on for just a few minutes and then turn it off.  I  place my bowl in the oven during the rise time.  Do not put your bowl or dough in a hot oven to rise, it could melt your bowl and cook your bread.  You just need a warm oven.  Use common sense here.
Once your dough has risen for 15 minutes, punch it down.  Divide your dough.  Shape it and you are ready for cooking. 
With this recipe you have two cooking options, which is another reason I love this recipe. 
Option 1 – Put your shaped dough in a COLD oven and turn it on to 400 degrees.  Check on it in 20 minutes.
Option 2 – Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.  While it is preheating, cover your shaped dough and let it rise on the stove until the oven is ready.  Check on it in 20 minutes.
I love this recipe because it consistently yields good bread.  It freezes well and is quick.
I liked how the author "likes how it consistently yields good bread" This encouraged me to try again.

No comments:

Post a Comment