Saturday, April 3, 2010

Signs of Spring--Butterflys

The Dow Gardens Butterfly House Midland, Michigan is open all month and in preparation for our field trip we are studying buttterflys today. Pitty-pat is still sleeping but Tippy-toe and I have read three books today. When she gets up we will read them together, although she should be able to read them herself. We will see. Tippy-toe just soaked up the knowledge like a little sponge this morning. Separating them for learning times really helps them focus better. I can't imagine either of them in a class of 25 to 30 other kids.

Today's Booklist is from our own home library:
Life Cycles Caterpillar to Butterfly by Sally Hewitt
Born to be a Butterfly by Karen Wallace
The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle

I found a neat pasta and paste idea from somewhere online and didn't write the site down ooops! I am trying to give credit for all the ideas I use so I can use those sites again myself.i think I have everything I need for this craft in the cupboard.
spiral pasta--caterpillar
shell pasta---chrysalis
bowtie pasta--butterfly
small pasta---egg

I found a lifecycle printout to label at enchantedlearning.com

I traced circles on green cardstock for them to cut out and make their own hungry caterpillar.
Tippy-toe needs fine motor coordination practice so cutting is good for him.

Today's mittenmom approved video is "Meet the Sight Words 1" by The PreschoolPrep Company. Little-man likes the cartoon words.

We do alot on saturdays since I usually have weekends off from work. Also someone is usually home to occupy little man for our artsy-craftsy times. I set up a modified workbox full of worksheets for during the week. We go for a walk and read in the evenings after dinner. The weekends are more one on one times.

No comments:

Post a Comment