Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Pineapple plant

We bought a whole golden pinapple from Sam's Club for $2.98. I loved watching the kids faces when Aaron cut it for them. It was so juicy and good. So we decided to try to grow the top into a new plant for a science unit. I asked Aaron to pull the top out of the fruity part and we dried it for three days. Now the info is conflicting I decided to try to root it in water so it is setting in a cup and because our house gets cool I put a zipploc bag open over it to cover it like a green house. No new roots yet on day 5. The kids and I will keep watch. I have asked everyone at work to bring me a pineapple top if they get one. If I get anymore I will have the kids try rooting them straight into dirt as an experiment to see which way works best. It takes at least two years to grow a new pinapple from your top so this will be an on going project for our homeschool. I did not inherit my mother's green thumb so wish us luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment